Non-Surgical Treatments: Potential Complications
Every non-surgical injectable procedure involves a certain amount of risk, and it is important that you understand these risks and the possible complications associated. The majority of patients do not experience the following, but you should discuss each possible risk with your prescribing physician and your injector, to ensure that you understand the risks so that you can make an informed decision regarding your treatment.
Common side effects may occur immediately or may be delayed and include but are not limited to the following:
- Inflammatory Reactions (Swelling, Skin redness)
- Local weakness including drooping eyelids, eyebrows and other areas of the face
- Nausea and/or flu like symptoms
Other adverse reactions may include:
- Induration or nodules
- Infections including cellulitis and abscesses
- Granuloma formation (tender lumps)
- Delayed hypersensitivity reactions
- Allergic reactions – mild to severe (anaphylactic)
- Lightening or darkening of the skin in the treated areas
- Increased redness due to capillary formation in the treated areas.
- Skin crusting or blistering
- Infection – mild to severe
- Scarring – which includes Hypertrophic or Keloid Scarring
Extremely rare but serious adverse events associated with intravascular injection of Hyaluronic Acid products have been reported and include temporary and permanent visual impairment, blindness, cerebral ischemia or cerebral haemorrhage, leading to stroke, skin necrosis, and damage to underlying structures.
Also exceedingly rare, in some cases the effect of the muscle relaxant product may be observed beyond the site of injection and the following symptoms may occur – loss of strength and muscle weakness, drooping of upper eyelid, double or blurred vision, trouble speaking, constipation, aspiration and trouble swallowing. These symptoms can happen hours to weeks after injection and are more likely to occur in patients treated with high doses or who have underlying conditions that would predispose to the above.